Monday, September 06, 2004

|

It took 5 days to write this.

Sunday, September 5.....

Yesterday, I was helping my neighbor put down posts for his deck. We have a guy in our 'hood who's kind of a "jack of all trades". He's built decks and finished basements for 3 or 4 houses and has saved me from a couple of lighting-related problems. He's taking the lead on the project and coordinates everyone who comes to help.

So, here I am yesterday mixing and pouring cement for the first time in my life. I can honestly say I am not used to working so hard. I spent most of the afternoon hauling 30kg bags of cement...........

...Fast-forward to Thursday.....

......when we realized that the three 20-year-old guys in attendance were running the hose, while 36-year-old me and my 40+ neighbor were doing the hauling and mixing. Something wrong here. The situation was quickly resolved and the youngsters took on the heavy work while I shoveled cement into the postholes and my neighbor made sure everything was level. Much better. Still hard work, though, and the plan is to finish this weekend.

So, it took me four days to write that one up. Let's see what else I've accumulated in the last week and a half.

My prayers for Christ's return are becoming louder and louder, especially in light of the tragic events in Russia last week. When terrorists no longer are concerned about the well-being of women and children, I fear there is not much left to deter them. Q107's morning man, John Derringer, suggested that any terrorist who puts children in harm's way should, if identified, have their kids killed in retaliation. Personally, while I don't have a solution to stop terror attacks, I think that solution sends the civilized part of the world down the same slope these psychos are travelling.

On a much more upbeat note, we have passed the 27-week mark in Christine's pregnancy. In fact, Saturday marks week 30. I suspect she won't be working past the end of September, but c'est la vie. Thanks to those of you who are praying for and encouraging us. Please don't stop.

If you are a fan of Matchbox Twenty, you MUST run out NOW and buy Show. This is a 2-disc set. Disc 1 chronicles their show from the "More Than You Think You Are" tour at Atlanta's Phillips Arena. That alone is worth the price of admission, but then you get a faboo 2nd disc with a great documentary of the tour, multi-angle presentations of 2 songs ("Soul", my new favorite song of theirs, and "Bright Lights") and other goodies. "More Than You Think You Are", the latest full-length CD from the 20, gained a whole new appreciation in my ears once I witnessed this show. "Disease" was OK and "Unwell" was a pretty good tune, but the rest of the album was, to me, forgettable. Not anymore. I now have this album fused into my MP3 player and listen to it non-stop. Seriously, I could write ten pages about how good this show is (and one day I might).

Haven't watched a total of 10 minutes of the World Cup of Hockey, couldn't care less. However, I know that Canada's rolling over everybody and the U.S. needed a miracle night from Keith Tkachuk to salvage their tourney. Kudos to Brett Hull, though, for locking up the Village Idiot award before the playoff round started. You gotta wonder about the state of a person's brainpan when, in a year that looks like the NHL is going to do everything it can to shaft the fans, Hully comments that he could care less about the fans (or something to that extent). Must be all those years wearing a Red Wings jersey. That'll turn your brain to mush (right, Mike?).

All you 24 freaks need to know this. The Season 3 DVD (which streets in December and is available for pre-order from Amazon.ca) contains a special goodie. As you may or may not know (or care), all of the cast from season 3 has been turfed (except Kiefer). Some may make short appearances in season 4. However, in an effort to explain this transformation, the producers of 24 are giving loyal fans a bonus. From The Digital Bits:

On the Fox front, we've learned that the studio's 24: The Complete Third Season (due on 12/7) will feature a special "half episode" written by the show's creators and shot with the cast. It's designed to bridge the time span between seasons 3 and 4, and introduce some of the new characters and situations that will appear in season 4.

Excellent.

Well, that's enough. I will try to post more often, but vacation is next week and it will be chock full of day trips and AIDAN'S FIRST DAY OF PRESCHOOL, which is next Wednesday. Not sure if I'm ready to start letting my little guy go (sniff).

Also, NBC's Medical Investigations starts tonight, starring ex-Boomtown assistant DA Neal McDonough. Gotta make sure the VCR is set. I love the fall.

Later.

P.S. Anyone who wants to wish me a happy birthday, I accept all best wishes and wisecracks, since I turn 37(!) on Sunday.