Monday, July 12, 2004

|

More on Same-Sex Marriage

Amy wrote a terrific little post on her blog. I encourage you to read it. It presents the marriage issues I have written about recently in a different light, as she (rightly) expresses concern about the ever-increasing incidence of divorce.

I made a comment, but after writing it, also decided to put my comment here:

Amy, to a degree I agree with you and I think that my prior postings will support my concern about the safety and well-being of our kids. I totally agree with you about the subject of divorce and you are right on. However, same-sex marriage (like common-law) violates the biblical precept of marriage. It is on the purely moral ground that I fight for this. I am well aware that I could ask 10 people their opinion on same-sex marriage and get 10 different answers but, like many Christians, we have a belief that marriage is strictly "the union of ONE MAN and ONE WOMAN, under God, until DEATH DO YOU PART". Having said that, there are rules for divorce in the Bible.

I think that the biggest threat to the institution of marriage is not divorce, same-sex, common law, or anything else. It is simply the fact that the world has invaded God's intent of what marriage is supposed to be and corrupted and spoiled it.

From the perspective of society, we are becoming more and more accepting of things that used to be unacceptable behavior. I still remember the first time someone I knew got divorced. I have to confess that I looked at them funny the first few times I saw them. Today, I work with 4 divorced women (one twice), another currently separated from her husband and, I'm sure, a few others who are not as forthcoming about their circumstances. Celebrities, especially, love having attention drawn to their circumstances (see Spears, Britney; O'Donnell, Rosie; Taylor, Elizabeth, etc.).

What people fail to see is the polarizing effect this has on kids. So many kids grow up today without a mom or dad, with TWO moms or TWO dads, with parents who have no commitment to each other beyond today. Kids are slowly becoming, I think, very confused, and the governments and school boards do little to help things by mixing in (in some cases) teaching to make children of same-sex couples feel "normal" by introducing readings and teachings that make this lifestyle acceptable. Same with children of divorce.

I don't have an answer other than to say that we, as parents, have an awesome responsibility to teach our children about God and Jesus and how crucial it is to open up their lives to Him. It's the only way we can be sure that future generations will continue to honor Him.

I pray for each of you reading this post that you will take up the standard and teach your kids what God says about living relationally in this badly messed-up world.

Peace.