Wednesday, January 12, 2005

|

Wow, is there a LOT to cover here

The good just keeps on coming as far as global outreach for those affected by the tsunami tragedy. Yesterday, Hamilton's CH TV ran a telethon of sorts and viewers donted close to $1 million. Well done.

I was deeply saddened by the tragedy. I really put this into perspective when I thought of the number of dead being larger than the population of Burlington. Imagine waking up to find out that Burlington had been wiped out. Pretty jarring.

The other thing impressed on me is the heights of good that people can reach and the depths of indifference and outright evil that people can sink to, as evidenced in news reports since this happened.

Other things less relevant but much more fun to talk about:

Fearless picks for this weekend's NFL Divisional Semis:

AFC: Colts and Steelers
NFC: Rams and Vikings (upsets GALORE!)

MLB is having an awesome offseason of player movement, as a lot of big names are switching teams and changing the whole landscape of the game. I like what my Yanks have done, bolstering the pitching staff with the Big Unit, Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright. I'm also impressed with the Mets, who added Pedro Martinez and Carlos Beltran. The whole Shawn Green to Arizona drama was pretty interesting, and the Cubs' ongoing issues with Sammy Sosa continue to captivate. Gotta feel bad for the Astros and the Cardinals, though, who have taken some pretty significant hits this offseason.

Lots more to cover, but I'm workin' here. Gotta go.