Sunday, November 21, 2004

|

A little family update

Been a while since I posted.

We've had a rough couple of weeks in the Benallick household. Started on Halloween night, as Aidan threw up in bed. This evolved into a chest cold with recurring fevers and he was diagnosed two weeks ago with bronchial pneumonia. He's getting better, but I suspect we may have to keep a supply of puffers around to help him clear out his lungs.

Then, Christine noticed a few oddities with Aaron (namely, acting like he's "backed up" and crying after eating or when she touched his tummy) and called the pediatrician. The pediatrician said "To the hospital with you" and Aaron was diagnosed with proctocolitis, which is basically an infant allergy to protein. To combat this, we have to switch to a new formula and Christine has to cut ALL dairy out of her diet until she finishes nursing. On the plus side, Aaron loves the new formula.

So, it's been a week. Add in a disagreement with a close relative that has me a bit stressed, a very challenging week at work and the fact that I had to cancel a get-together with my brother at the last minute (who I haven't seen one-on-one in forever) and it's been a tough stretch.

At times like this, I remember a few things. First, God promises in the Bible to never give us more than we can handle. I do not recall the verse where that promise is made, but I have found myself clinging to it more and more in the past few years. I also remind myself how fortunate I am to have so many blessings to worry about. In the book of Job, God allows Job (a loyal follower) to have all of his earthly blessings stripped away (cattle killed, house destroyed, family dies) and he is left horribly disfigured by disease. Despite all of this, Job never turns away from God. While I have challenges to face in this life, I know that my Saviour remains beside me and carries me during the times I cannot carry myself.

Thank you God, for your Son and your never-ending love for us.

More later.