Saturday, October 30, 2004

|

A quiet Saturday morning

It's 6:30 AM and I must be lonely (oops, channeled Matchbox Twenty there for a second. Let's try this again.)

Take two.

It's 6:30 AM. Aidan's still asleep, I'm wide awake. Figured I'll do up a quick post and rip a few more CDs. This latest run will put me over 2,000 songs, for those who find such information interesting.

All signs point to Aaron coming home on Thursday. Christine is spending the weekend at the hospital so that they can get into the night feeding routine and I am bottle-feeding him whenever I'm there so he gets used to the idea that Daddy is the bottle supplier. Aaron cracked 6 lbs. on Thursday and looks really good. Next hump is the two months after he comes home, during which he has to be almost quarantined until he starts getting all of his shots. There will definitely be some MAJOR schedule juggling to keep Aidan on a normal routine. Oh, well. It's all VERY much worth it.

One last comment on the baseball season. The Yankees last won the World Series in 2000, their third in a row. Since then, the winners have been Anaheim, Arizona, Florida and Boston. Anyone know what those four winners have in common?

2001 - Anaheim beats the Yankees in the ALDS
2002 - Arizona beats the Yankees (on a cheap hit) in the Series
2003 - Florida beats the Yankees in the Series
2004 - Boston beats the Yankees in the ALCS

So, despite what the Yankee-bashers are saying, the road to the World Series ALWAYS runs through the House That Ruth Built.

In news that should come as a surprise to no one, Carlos Delgado was among the first players to file for free agency yesterday.

So, Halloween is tomorrow. Bust out the candy. Aidan has a very cool dog costume he'll be wearing. He thinks he's Wags the Dog from the Wiggles, so who are we to argue with him. We're taking a little pumpkin costume into the hospital Sunday and dressing Aaron in it, which should be good for a smile. Aidan's hyped about doing the candy collection run tomorrow.

Speaking of The Wiggles, my sister and I are packing Aidan and her three kids in her minivan for a trip to T.O. next Saturday to see those four moptops from Down Under. Well, I survived Bear In The Big Blue House Live, so hopefully I'll come out of this alive. At least we're not sitting in the floor seats, which should help some. But they better have large video walls so the kids can see what's going on. Having said that, I think I just spent $48 a ticket so my kid can watch a big-screen TV.

Treehouse TV here in Canada (Nick Jr. in the U.S.) just released two Max and Ruby DVDs, which I picked up for the kids. Does anyone else out there with Treehouse-aged kids find them addicted to this show? A couple of people I work with say their kids are hooked, like Aidan is. I do not get the deal with this show, but it freezes Aidan whenever it comes on. The DVD comes with a "replay" feature, whereby it counts off 10 seconds after ending and, if nothing is done, it will replay. Great for Aidan, torture for his parents. Thankfully, I can tune out the TV. Christine's still learning that trick.

Quick plug here for The Hunt, Austin's developing entry in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). This is young Austin's entry in the annual event and he is providing readers with an opportunity to walk alongside him as he develops his work, which I think is pretty cool.

Springsteen song just came on ("Racing In The Street", a personal favorite). Made me think of picture I saw yesterday of Bruce with the Great Waffler (John Kerry). There's been a summer-long tour with some very big-name acts (Dave Matthews, R.E.M., Springsteen, etc.) who are using the tour to promote Kerry. I find myself often wondering though, whether this is really more an anti-Bush statement as opposed to a pro-Kerry statement. That's a pretty fine line, but a significant one. It's also kinda sad if that's the case, since they are not choosing the alternative based on the strengths of Kerry, but rather their anger/disappointment with Bush. Once again, I find myself concerned with the fact that we are SO willing to grant celebrities such huge platforms to promote their cause celebres and that people actually listen to them. All I think is that I'm disappointed that some of the great musicians of my youth (Springsteen, Mellencamp, etc.) have decided that they feel they need to be about more than the music.

Gotta go. Mister Man is up. Before I go, I want to share the lyrics I'm listening to right now, because they are really hitting home this morning (more so than usual):

Where are the nails that pierced His hands?
Well the nails have turned to rust
But behold the Man
He is risen and He reigns
In the hearts of His children rising up in His name
Where are the thorns that drew His blood?
Well the thorns have turned to dust
But not so the love
He has given and it remains
In the hearts of His children who will love
While the nations rage

(While The Nations Rage, Rich Mullins)

Blessings