Monday, February 23, 2004

|

So my wife and I took my son to see Bear in the Big Blue House Live on Saturday. My son has the video of the show and loves it, so we thought this would be a good way to see if he's ready for live theatre. Well, he is, but I'm not sure I am.

You see, the show runs about 60 minutes and it's very well paced for youngsters, with lots of music and dancing and short runs of acting, in order to keep the story moving. All the characters from the show make appearances (the fact I know every one of them frightens me) and it's very enjoyable. The kids, especially mine, were really into it from the start.

So why do they need a 15-minute intermission?

After the first half-hour, they took a 15 minute break. My son lost all interest and was really fidgety during the second half, which he wouldn't have been had they just carried on. The reason for the break?

Some guy started selling helium-filled Mylar balloons with Bear's face on it. This after paying $31 per adult and $29 per kid, $15 for a t-shirt and passing on the $7 programs, the $16 flashlight and the $8 ball. We guessed that the balloons were $5 a pop (no pun intended). Then came the funniest part: the voice of Bear across the theatre telling kids to put their newly-bought balloons UNDER THEIR SEATS, so people behind could still see the stage. I figure maybe 5 balloons disappeared.

Anyway, it was a good show, even if my son wanted to "pick a video" during the second half, so he could watch something else.